Can any dog play?
- Dogs four months or older
- Friendly dogs that are not protective of food, toys or space
- Healthy Dogs-All dogs must have current DHLPP, Rabies and Bordatella (Kennel Cough) vaccinations. The Bordatella vaccine needs to be updated every six months.
- Spayed or neutered dogs; however puppies fewer than seven months may attend without being "fixed".
- All dogs must pass a temperament evaluation.
For Overnight Care
To ensure the comfort and safety of your dog, only dogs that are active members of our daycare program (attending daycare at least once every three months) are eligible to stay overnight with us. Clients that are new to Downtown Dogs will need to attend daycare a minimum of 2 times and wait at least 30 days from the first daycare visit, prior to staying overnight with us.
What happens in a temperament evaluation?
For the safety of everyone at daycare, it is important that all dogs interact positively together. For this reason, we require that all dogs pass a temperament evaluation.
During the first phase of the evaluation, we will sit down and discuss your dogs' history (previous owners, socialization, interactions with other dogs, etc.). In the second phase of the interview your dog will be introduced to other friendly dogs, one at a time. We will monitor your dogs' body language and reactions during these interactions. If all goes well, your dog is accepted to the Downtown Dogs' pack.
How do I schedule a temperament evaluation?
If you feel that your dog meets these requirements, please fill out our online application. Applications take 2-3 days to process, and someone will contact you about setting up a time to meet.
What are the hours of the temperament evaluations?
Evaluations take approximately one hour in length. They are held on Mondays through Fridays during the hours of 9:30am to 11:30 am and 2:30pm- 4:00pm.